Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees


I just finished reading...well, devouring this book. My mom lent it to me a few weeks ago, and once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. It's an engaging story told in a beautiful voice. Set during the civil rights movement, Lily, a fourteen year old girl, confronts growing up, racism, abuse, love and her own dark past. How can you not be intrigued?

Today, I was listening to Radio Lab and the guest this week was Zoe Keating who, by happenstance, scored the film version of the book. So all at once, it was hooray! There's going to be a movie version AND it will be scored beautifully.



I thought the imagery in the book was very vivid and the trailer seems like the film won't disappoint in the production design. As for the acting and the way they handle the story, well, who knows. It looks promising.

As for the score, Zoe Keating is awesome. She plays cello and then runs it through a computer to create loops that she then plays over. It's similar to Final Fantasy, but her music is purely instrumental.

So, lots of good, beautiful related things today.

No comments:

Post a Comment